Friday, June 17, 2011

DIY Spa Day

Vacations are supposed to be an escape from the daily realities of work, bills, grocery shopping, cleaning up dog poop, more bills, grocery shopping, rent paying, and everything else that is patently "grown-up" and "not fun."

However, for those of us living paycheck to paycheck, vacations can actually be really fucking stressful. You are taking time off work, so you're not making any money, but it's not like your landlord or bill collectors go on vacation. Plus, being on vacation--even the kind where you are fortunate enough to have friends and family lend you their couches and kitchens-- inevitably COSTS money. So really it's a financial double whammy.

Anyway, while I am very excited to be going home for a couple of weeks, I have also been really stressed out, especially about money, since I will be returning from said vacation to Government Shutdown Unemployment Land.

I have this idea of what rich people do when they're stressed: they go to the spa, get a massage, buy themselves a nice bottle of wine, bang the pool boy.... 

Not being a rich person myself, I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I know I would love a motherfucking spa day right about now. Exercising like a maniac has definitely been helping me with the stress, but sometimes a bitch just needs to be pampered.

And that, my stressed-out, impoverished friends, is why I  have decided to share with you some of my favorite drugstore items that will allow you to give yourself the royal treatment in your very own home because you deserve a little luxury and relaxation in your frenzied, frazzled, debt-ridden existence, and besides, it's kind of awkward to have strangers touching you with Enya on in the background anyway.

DIY Spa Day

FYI, everything pictured above is less than $10 at pretty much any drugstore, and most of the items are less than $5. 

1. Tub of St. Ives Apricot scrub
    I love this shit!! It smells amazing and gets your skin really smooth. Plus a big old tub of it is only like $6 and will last for hella long. I use it on my face every night and on my entire body usually once a week in the shower.

2. Queen Helene's Face Masks (in Mud Pack and Mint Julep)
     If you have never heard about Queen Helene's, I am so sorry! I love almost every Queen Helene's product on the   shelves! These masks are both fantastic--great for leaving on while soaking in the tub--AND they're usually under $4.

3. Tea Light Candles
    To set the mood, these are little, cute and SUPER cheap. And they're unscented, which I like. I feel like scented candles are for women who name their cats after Greek goddesses and wear lots of clothes with wolves on them. If you want to get extra fancy, paint a Mason jar some pretty color and stick one of these inside.

4. Revlon Manicure Kit
   For about $8, this kit comes with nail clippers, an AWESOME file, and cuticle trimmers. All you need is one of those 3-sided files and you can do your mani-pedis for DAYS. Way cheaper than $30 plus tip.

5. Cucumbers
    For your tired eyes. Everyone knows about this, right? Ok. 

6. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Mask
    If you have long and/or damaged hair, this mask is really great at making your follicles feel all silky smooth. About $7.

7. Dr. Teal's Lavender Bath Salts
    If you have a tub and want to get all fancy with your bath salts, these are great. But I usually just use plain old epsom salts because they're a bit more cost effective. 

8. Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
    I recently discovered that witch hazel is great astringent/toner for my oily skin/adult acne. You can buy this formula, but I usually just go with a generic brand from whatever store I am at. It's usually under $2.

9. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
   Dr. Bronner's can be a little pricy, but I think it's worth it. I use this daily on my face and body. The peppermint is my favorite, especially in the summer, because it has a cooling, tingly effect that feels like it is tightening your skin and waking it up all at once. Plus, many local grocery stores (usually the hippy co-op kinds) will let you refill your old bottle at a discounted price. That way you do good for yourself, and for the environment.
 
The last spa-type thing I've been really into lately is making my own face/hair mist. I bought a couple small bottles of essential oils put a few drops of each in an old hair product spray bottle, added water, and VOILA! Fancy face and hair mist! It's very refreshing and moisturizing, and it's also great for spraying down my stinky yoga mat after class. Essential oils can be rather pricy, but a little goes a long way when mixing with water. I've found that tea tree and rosemary oil are good for my skin type (oily, acne prone), but you might want to do a little research and see what would be best for your skin type and price range.
 
I hope this gives you some ideas for ways to find a little R&R alone time amidst the stress of vacation planning or whatever it is you're going through. 


Thanks so much for reading!

<3- hallee

No comments:

Post a Comment